DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID question

platty

Reactions
I keep reading about people not being able to use their drone because the previous owner has not unlocked it. Does that apply in Australia ? I sold my Mavic Mini last year and knew nothing about unlocking it but also didn’t take any steps to register it. I then bought an Air 2s second hand and never thought to see if it was unlocked but, maybe it doesn’t apply in Australia because I have been flying this amazing little device with no problems.

I keep reading about people not being able to use their drone because the previous owner has not unlocked it. Does that apply in Australia ? I sold my Mavic Mini last year and knew nothing about unlocking it but also didn’t take any steps to register it. I then bought an Air 2s second hand and never thought to see if it was unlocked but, maybe it doesn’t apply in Australia because I have been flying this amazing little device with no problems.
This has nothing to do with RID. unlocking, or better said unbinding the drone from the previous owner's account is necessary.

Reactions: mavic3usa
When I bought the drone I haven’t taken any steps to register it. Am I supposed to notify DJI I own it ?
When you "activate" your drone and if you choose DJI care refresh optionally (which requires an extra binding step on most new drones), that's the extent of the formal contact you need to make with DJI initially. The details contained in your DJI account are sufficient to notify DJI.

Am I supposed to notify DJI I own it ?
They already know you own it -- even if you bought it secondhand and didn't have to activate it.

When I bought the drone I haven’t taken any steps to register it. Am I supposed to notify DJI I own it ?

You're fine until you get auto-logged out in DJI Fly, and have to then re-login, to the sellers account, which you can't. After that, you will have limited use for something like 5 flights, after which you will not be able to fly more than 50ft altitude, and 30ft distance from takeoff (from memory, precise numbers may be a little different).

This is why it's critical for the seller to go into their DJI account and delete the drone from their inventory, and for the buyer to create a DJI account and register it as theirs.

You're fine until you get auto-logged out in DJI Fly, and have to then re-login, to the sellers account, which you can't.....
[clarification] ....because you don't know the password. Ok to use another or someone else's account like a friend or relative, you just need to have their details such as the password.

[clarification] ....because you don't know the password. Ok to use another or someone else's account like a friend or relative, you just need to have their details such as the password.

I wonder what DJI does when a drone is sent for repair by someone different than the registered owner... is there a risk they will mark the serial number stolen?

I wonder what DJI does when a drone is sent for repair by someone different than the registered owner... is there a risk they will mark the serial number stolen?
My guess is they use the details found in the work order. If they are going to do something about mismatches, it would be at submission time they should notify the sender and decline to accept the repair request. Obviously if you fill out the form and the actual product that arrives has been marked as stolen, perhaps they'll keep it. But the registration on file is not a legal indication of ownership. Imagine the number of former drone owners who are deceased and can't make any legal changes, it would be a nightmare for DJI.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu