DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Mini 1 - strange spining movement

Polcsi_79

Reactions
Hi!

What could be the reason that if I just want to rotate the drone around its z-axis, the z-axis does not stay in one place? While rotating the drone also moves its z-axis in a circle of about 1m diameter.

Reactions: Cafguy
Assume you are not touching anything but the left joystick to create yaw motion? Assume your props are well balanced when drone is stationary?

Assume you are not touching anything but the left joystick to create yaw motion? Assume your props are well balanced when drone is stationary?
Exactly. If I don't touch anything, the drone will hold its position steady. However, when rotating, the motor performance is not smooth, I think, because it "buzzes" rhythmically, but only when moving like this. In all other directions it does not. When the wind calms down a bit, I'll try to video it.

Drones fly by the builder programming its pid these pid numbers basically tell each motor how to react to get a desired result if when you rotate the drone and hear a different tone it is the drone doing what it needs to do to fly. if for instance you fly straight up suddenly ALL of your motors will spin up fully BUT if you go in a direction one motor may spin down while another may speed up it will do the same trying to hover in the wind
these "sounds" really mean nothing and is just your drone doing its thing.

Hi!

What could be the reason that if I just want to rotate the drone around its z-axis, the z-axis does not stay in one place? While rotating the drone also moves its z-axis in a circle of about 1m diameter.
You could try a simple stick calibration first, this will determine if the yaw stick (or any other) is operating correctly.
Start with the simple things first.

Reactions: Capt KO
I don't have a solution, but I commend you for doing a fine job of describing the problem and establishing what's going on with it. You even verified that it happens with rotation in both directions.

I actually bought it second hand. In use it's not so annoying because I do complex movements while recording video, but I'm still wondering what the problem is. Unfortunately, my other machine is an Avata 2 and no one near me has one or similar to try first with another rc for example.

For what its worth, I have never had a drone that stayed perfectly in place when spinning on yaw axis... I think if there's any wind at all, its gonna move a bit, because if wind is hitting it from, say, the left side, as soon as you rotate it, its gonna take a second for the drone to realize that the wind direction has now changed and apply the proper thrust to the proper motors to keep it steady.

For what its worth, I have never had a drone that stayed perfectly in place when spinning on yaw axis... I think if there's any wind at all, its gonna move a bit, because if wind is hitting it from, say, the left side, as soon as you rotate it, its gonna take a second for the drone to realize that the wind direction has now changed and apply the proper thrust to the proper motors to keep it steady.
You're right about that, but you can see in the video that it was the same in both directions one after the other, and the wind was minimal and didn't change the moment the drone started to rotate in the other direction.

Did you do a reset on all your drone settings? I know in there, you can change yaw, roll and pitch settings relating to stick movements.... Just a thought..

Thank you all for your helpful attitude!
The problem is solved! Unfortunately due to my incompetence, when I bought it second hand, I assumed that all calibrations were done. After installing the app, it only asked for compass calibration on first use.
I have now done the IMU calibration and it rotates perfectly!
Thanks again!

Reactions: Capt KO
Glad you posted solution, so many weird flight operations can be corrected by imu calibration. Maybe helpful to others with similar problems.

Reactions: Polcsi_79
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02