DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FPV Maneuvering Tips & Assistance

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
I posted this on the Drone Board but it doesn't seem to get as much traffic as over here. So I'll just copy and paste...

Good day!

I am posting in hopes that I might get some assistance in the realm of FPV flying. I currently have my Part 107 and fly a DJI M30T for one of the largest O&G producers in the Gulf of Mexico. I also own and operate a small business in my hometown where I fly a Phantom 3, Air 2S, and an Air 3. I do basic photography and videography and various visual inspections. I just recently purchased a DJI Avata 2 in hopes of adding a different point of view to the videos I produce. I would consider myself more than capable on the camera drone sticks, but the FPV controls are presenting a pretty steep learning curve. I say that in terms of being able to get cinematic shots and properly framing my subjects. I am confident in the actual flying of the drone. I will follow that up with saying I have only used the motion controller 3 at this point but plan on getting the FPV RC-3. I will add to that that in no way shape or form was I ever cocky enough to think that I would just be able to pick this thing up and roll with it!! I knew I would be starting from scratch essentially!

I am looking for tips or pointers on specific controller movements that might help with better control and framing of shots. Any videos or websites that might breakdown certain maneuvers by the actual controller motions? I have been trying to combine using the wrist movements in conjunction with the thumb joystick and I am having trouble, as I said, framing and keeping my subjects in view. Am I going about this correctly? Are there some settings that I may need to adjust? I have also tried to incorporate the head-tracking with this. I think it may help slightly but I didn't want to overload myself too much right off the bat with trying to learn a completely new flying style.

One example I can give is trying to do a dive. I know this drone can do a pretty steep dive but the steepest that I can dive at seems to be right at about 45° give or take. Would the best way to get steeper be to add the joystick AND use the head-tracking to look down, or am I thinking of this the wrong way??

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Not sure what to tell you other than practice, practice, practice....and then one day, by "magic" it seems to come to you. Especially with the MC with takes a little bit longer to master. You can use the RC and get there quicker, so I've heard.

With the MC, I have found if you hold the MC really tightly as if you were holding a glass bottle that you don't want to let slip and you use your forefinger not at the tip but at the second joint to make contact with the trigger, the throttle is manipulated by squeezing the entire hand more of less and not just the finger (which is a lot of travel). For me, this makes it much easier to smoothly speed up and slow down while darting left and right at the same time. For example, when flying at top speed and the trigger fully depressed, it's as if you are squeezing the entire MC and you are only twisting your wrist...and if you see something coming your way, stop squeezing as hard (as opposed to trying to release off the trigger with your fingertip which won't come off in a cinematic way).

Obviously this is Sport mode action only.

Reactions: Cafguy
It really depends on what you're trying to shoot. Stills, while the Avata 1/2 can of course take them, really are not what the Avata is good for. FPV is always in motion. This becomes a rule when flying Manual as opposed to N/S.

The best, smoothest, most cinematic results in N/S modes is with the Motion Controller. Save the stick controller for Manual mode flight. Understand that how deflection on the sticks affects aircraft behavior is totally different than the way the sticks control N/S modes, which is what you're familiar with from flying your other drones. N/S modes operate in "angle" mode control, while M operates in "rate" mode. Google it and get up to speed with how each work.

You will have your greatest flexibility in Manual. In this flight mode you can put the drone in any orientation you desire, including pointing the "nose" and camera straight down. Or inverted. You have total freedom of movement on all 3 axes.

Not sure what to tell you other than practice, practice, practice....and then one day, by "magic" it seems to come to you.
That's it in a nutshell FLY FLY FLY and the reactions will come. The way I "fly" may not be the way you fly FPV.
Its all about reaction.and I can't really tell you "how I control" it will not help you at all. except maybe push the stick this way or that way.
SOME ADVICE: Before you crash your expensive Drone, Download the Drone simulator LIFTOFF. Practice learning the basics on the sim. Then after that move outside. I would say if you can fly 4 or 5 gates in a row in the sim you are ready for the Real world with your high dollar toy.
If you want to keep steady shots or learn to stay on target better you will need to STOP flying your drone in any other mode than Manual!!
Flying in Modes messes with your reactions and you will learn BAD habits if you keep doing it . So if you want to get good at it Say goodbye to the self leveling and steady hovering drone. from now on its all up to you. IT TAKES TIME BUT don't throw in the towel MOST give up FPV simply because they didnt fly enough to overcome the new enviroment.
If you cant dive more thsan that angle the drone is in whats called angle mode you need to switch to manual. Manual mode or ACRO is the best way to film using a drone you have total control of what the drone is doing!
Some of those really good FPV videos you see on you You tube are filmed with GO-Pro cameras mounted on small drones this is the way my Drone pilot buddies do it here in hollywood. They all use very expensive equipment on Iflight Cinelifters they Fly in acro exclusivly and would Never use a Mode when flying.

Reactions: Torque
That's it in a nutshell FLY FLY FLY and the reactions will come. The way I "fly" may not be the way you fly FPV.
Its all about reaction.and I can't really tell you "how I control" it will not help you at all. except maybe push the stick this way or that way.
Yea that's what I have been doing. I know the best way is to just get as familiar and comfortable as possible and that is just going to take time.

SOME ADVICE: Before you crash your expensive Drone, Download the Drone simulator LIFTOFF. Practice learning the basics on the sim. Then after that move outside. I would say if you can fly 4 or 5 gates in a row in the sim you are ready for the Real world with your high dollar toy.
Too late, although it wasn't my fault. A bird decided it didn't like that I was flying in his parking lot! All good though, DJI Care Refresh hooked me up. But like I said, I feel extremely comfortable just flying the drone outside. It is extremely intuitive to fly. I have seen several recommendations to download the LIFTOFF sim. I have held off because I wasnt sure if it was compatible with the MC.

Last edited:
The SIM will not work with the gimicky motion controller!! if you want to be good at FPV get rid of the goofy motion controller and only use the sticks.
NO MOTION CONTROLLERS !!!!!!

Don't use the motion controller, with it, you'll get used to the wrong controls.
Use the regular controllers with a simulator, my favourite one is Liftoff, but there are lots of others to choose from.

Fly at least 30 minutes a day, and you'll start to get it after a week or so.

Another opinion that might be a bit controversial is after a while of flying the Avata, get a traditional FPV drone, would that be a 5-inch freestyle, 3 inch cine whoop, or anything in between, the important part is to get a drone that is easily repairable. The issue I see with the Avata and DJI FPV Drones is that they're not repairable, so you'll not take many chances doing tricks because you'll be constantly scared of crashing.

I have a drone from Rotor Riot, and I highly recommend them, they're a US based company, their customer service is amazing, and their drones are hand built, or you can get parts and build it yourself to learn!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02